If you’re thinking about renovating your kitchen, it’s important to do some research before hiring a contractor in Singapore. Kitchen layouts vary greatly across the world and there are many things to consider before making your decision. The first thing you’ll need to figure out is what type of kitchen design or renovation that you want.
We’ve put together this guide to assist you understand the factors to consider before having your kitchen rebuilt, as well as budget estimates.
#1: You need to know HDB resale kitchen renovation rules
Before engaging any kitchen renovation contractors or renovating your HDB unit with the help of a professional company, there are certain rules that must be followed. It is important for residents living within an HDB estate to understand these guidelines and regulations as they can change depending on which particular country one lives in. If this article doesn’t cover all aspects of what someone should keep track off when it comes to involving themselves with such services then feel free read more online regarding their requirements
The government has strict set-up laws laid down by them; general ones include who may do work at an HDB apartment without permits (general duties), permitted activities under hacking law provisions (considered illegal) and the list of approvals needed before work can commence.
The most common HDB rules that are followed in Singapore relates to general duties for a contractor; these include provision of insurance, obtaining permits from Town Councils or Building Maintenance Office (BMO) as well as certificates such as workers safety clearance card or trade licence being provided by their respective authorities.
There are certain rules and regulations that are specific to kitchen renovation:
- When it comes to plumbing, only work with a PUB (Public Utilities Board) registered plumber.
- When it comes to pipes, you are not allowed to install any new concealed pipes when upgrading your kitchen. All new pipes must be installed outside.
- General renovations can only be done on weekdays and Saturdays between 9:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- A waterproofing membrane is applied to the flooring.
#2: Understand the factors that determine the cost of your kitchen renovation
Partial and comprehensive renovations are the two types of renovations. Of course, these are the most important aspects that will influence the cost of your kitchen renovation. We’ve compiled a list of some of the most important and common factors:
- First, decide what will remain the same and what will be changed.
- If all you need is to dismantle existing cabinets and install new ones, you’ll have to pay for hacking and new cabinets. The cost of new cabinets is determined on their length.
- If you’re planning a complete renovation, you’ll need to account for the expense of cutting the tiles, purchasing and installing new ones, as well as labor costs. Don’t forget to factor in the expense of installing new cabinets.
- Because the kitchen is a wet space, proper waterproofing and ponding (applying static pressure by pounding water on the inside face to identify water leakage) testing are required. This will also increase your expenses.
- Finally, there is the cost of hauling the tiles once they have been installed, as well as the cost of acid-washing the tiles.
#3: Things to keep in mind before renovating
Before you estimate the cost of your kitchen makeover, there are five important factors to consider.
- Space: You should obviously measure the space you’re working with so you know how many workers you’ll need for the restoration. More space would imply more personnel, equipment, and, as a result, more labor hours.
- Check over the arrangement in your HDB kitchen to see whether it’s something you can work with. A modification in layout would entail astronomical costs.
- Type of storage: Before you start renovating your kitchen, make a preliminary estimate of how much storage you’ll need. Because you will soon realize that this has a significant impact on the cost of your kitchen renovation.
- Stove model: Make a note of whether you require an induction or a gas stove.
- Type of kitchen: Do you cook on a regular basis or will your kitchen resemble a display kitchen? Heavy cooking necessitates a slew of additional expenses in the kitchen. As a result, make sure you make this selection ahead of time.
#4: Kitchen renovation budget estimates
Your kitchen renovation budget is determined by a variety of things, but if you’re solely interested in carpentry work, you can expect to spend roughly S$5,000. On the other hand, if you’re seeking to do some general hacking and renovation, expect to spend between S$10,000 and S$15,000.
#5: What are the financing options?
You can finance your refurbishment with a bank loan or your own money. You can even combine the two methods by taking out a renovation loan. Certain banks offer renovation loans of up to S$30,000, but you must submit a remodeling contract to apply. This is done to ensure that the funds are only utilized to renovate the house.
How To Reduce Kitchen Contractor Cost
While there are several ways to save money on kitchen renovations, the following are a few fast tips:
- Save money on materials: Choosing budget-friendly countertop and backsplash materials will go a long way toward lowering the entire renovation cost.
- Carpentry designs: Choosing a carpentry design that is reasonably simple is a fantastic method to save money. It doesn’t have to be dull; it just has to be less complicated.
- Tile work: Instead of totally hacking and installing new tiles, save a lot of money by merely overlaying them.
ELPIS INTERIOR IN SINGAPORE
Looking for an Interior Designer in Singapore? Elpis interior designer in 4A Pahang St is the answer. Elpis was Established in 2015. Elpis Interior has proven to be one of the design consultation service providers for residential projects. Elpis offers a complete range of services for the design and build such as reduce snags, lower costs, shorten schedules and accelerate close-out time.
Elpis also offers for the planning, design and delivery of interior environments. Elpis’ services include strategy, optional design plans and budgets along with 3D visualization and animation. Elpis focuses on quality within planned budgets, improving cost performance and accelerating project delivery. So what are you waiting for? Contact Elpis now to discuss your home and decor in Singapore!